By default the Android x86 emulator is shipped only with English locale. This is very insufficient for multilanguage app debuging.
Fortunately, the solution is very simple:
- Download CustomLocale.apk.
- Run “adb remount rw” in command line.
- Run “adb push CustomLocale.apk /system/app” or use File Explorer in Eclipse (DDMS).
- Go to app list in your emulator.
- Start Custom Locale app.
- Click on “Add new locale” button and fill your locale code, for example “en_US” for english in the US. First two lowercase letters are for language, second two uppercase letters are for country. More in official documentation.